— Sports Funhouse (@SportsFunhouse) July 10, 2017
On June 11, alt-right blogger Mike Cernovich published an article attacking an assistant to National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster, claiming the previously low-profile civil servant wanted to “sabotage” President Donald Trump.
The piece described Eric Ciaramella as “pro-Ukraine and anti-Russia” and alleged, with no evidence, that he was possibly responsible for high-level leaks. The response to the piece included online threats of violence against Ciaramella, which contributed to his decision to leave his job at the the National Security Council a few weeks early, according to two sources familiar with the situation.
Although the harassment was not the only factor, one of the two sources said they “distinctly got the impression” that the departure was premature, partially because of “right-wing” harassment.
Ciaramella is not alone. Cernovich, who claims his Twitter feed receives over 100 million views every month, has been relentless in his criticism of McMaster and those around him. Cernovich’s writings and tweets have included false information, but sometimes they include details that only someone on the inside could know. For example, his tweets about Ciaramella were so specific that they documented meetings and lunches the NSC staffer had with certain people.
After Ciaramella left the NSC, Cernovich turned his attacks on Twitter against his prospective successor, who has not been publicly announced.
Career civil servants often endure stressful working conditions, but in the Trump White House, some of them face online trolling from alt-right bloggers who seek to portray them as clandestine partisans plotting to sabotage the president’s agenda. The online attacks often cite information that appears to be provided by unnamed White House officials or Trump loyalists.
Bannon and Miller, no doubt.
House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) this week disputed reports that 22 million people would lose insurance under the Republican health care plan. During an interview that aired on Tuesday, Fox News host Brian Kilmeade asked Ryan to respond to a recent Congressional Budget Office (CBO) report that said there would be 22 million more people without… Continue Reading →
Jay Bookman at the AJC had a very good opinion piece regarding promises made by Trump during the elections regarding care for opioid addictions in some of the hardest hits states. The proposed Republican Senate Health bill does not do anything to help this problem, in fact, it is taking away resources for this very problem…
“We’re going to take all of these kids—and people, not just kids—that are totally addicted and they can’t break it,” Trump told a town hall meeting in Columbus back in August. “We’re going to work with them, we’re going to spend the money, we’re gonna get that habit broken.”
As political strategy, it was brilliant. In the industrial Midwest, where Trump in essence won his victory, 95 percent of the counties where he outperformed Mitt Romney also had higher than average rates of drug mortality.
Yet this is the thanks they get. Instead of spending more money, Trump and his fellow Republicans are slashing those programs. In addition to drastic Medicaid cuts, both the House and Senate bills would strip the requirement that private health-care plans cover addiction treatment ….
And nursing homes and care for children is traded for a tax cut.
Both bills cut $800 billion in funding for Medicaid — much of which covers health care for poor children, for the disabled and for the elderly in nursing homes. Through tax cuts, both bills then smuggle that $800 billion to those who are deemed much more in need.
You know, those in the top 1 percent of income, those who have already benefited enormously from this economy, those whom President Trump sneeringly derides as the elite even as he and his party alter the structure of government and the economy to further enrich that very same elite.
I followed the comments in the paper and on social media. The usual folks that bang the drum for the GOP and Trump are eerily silent on this.
Here is today’s attempt to distract from the Republican Senate health care bill …
President Donald Trump said he doesn’t have recordings of his conversations with then-FBI Director James Comey, capping weeks of speculation — started by the president himself — about whether such tapes exist.
“With all of the recently reported electronic surveillance, intercepts, unmasking and illegal leaking of information, I have no idea whether there are ‘tapes’ or recordings of my conversations with James Comey,” Trump said Thursday in a pair of statements on Twitter, “but I did not make, and do not have, any such recordings.”
Asked if Trump believes U.S. intelligence agencies are monitoring his conversations in the White House, Sanders said, “Not that I’m aware of.”
Trump raised the question of whether he was taping his Oval Office conversations when, days after firing Comey on May 9, he blasted out a series of tweets suggesting the existence of tapes as a way to try to deter the ousted FBI chief from talking to reporters.
“James Comey better hope that there are no ‘tapes’ of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!” Trump wrote. He concluded with a tweet calling the investigation into Russian interference in the election and his campaign’s possible involvement a “witch hunt,” asking, “when does it end?”
So, I guess we are looking at attempts to intimidate Comey…
“This raises a lot of questions about why he would suggest in the first place there were tapes, what he hoped to gain from that?” Schiff said. “And, moreover, why he kept the country guessing about this issue for weeks, and weeks and weeks.”
He said it also raises questions about “what lengths he will go to to try to intimidate people from speaking out?”
Democratic Representative Joaquin Castro of Castro, also a member of the Intelligence Committee, said the panel should proceed with plans to legally compel the White House to turn over any tapes to exist.
“We should send over a subpoena just to be sure,” Castro said in a Twitter message.
It would have been a bigger distraction if there were tapes. Let’s get back to the protests outside Mitch’s office by disabled people fearing for their healthcare.
During the 2016 general election campaign, there wasn’t bigger or more despicable Trump surrogate than Rudy Giuliani . Now Newt Gingrich is trying to take the mantle of the most despicable post-election Trump surrogate. Since Giuliani has disappeared off the face of the planet, Gingrich has become his most conspiracy-laced surrogate who, for some reason, still… Continue Reading →
— The Daily Beast (@thedailybeast) May 17, 2017
You knew it would happen. After all the surrogate statements and attempts to spin, Trump started tweeting this morning and undermined everything his team did yesterday to contain this scandal: As President I wanted to share with Russia (at an openly scheduled W.H. meeting) which I have the absolute right to do, facts pertaining…. – Donald… Continue Reading →