From the Mt Holly NJ National Weather Center:
Sandy is expected to slam into the New Jersey coast later Monday night, bringing very heavy rain and damaging winds to the region. The storm is a large one, therefore do not focus on the exact center of the storm as all areas will have significant impacts.
This has the potential to be an historic storm, with widespread wind damage and power outages, inland and coastal flooding, and massive beach erosion. The combination of the heavy rain and prolonged wind will create the potential for long lasting power outages and serious flooding.
Preparations should be wrapping up as conditions are expected to worsen tonight and especially on Monday.
Some important notes…
1. If you are being asked to evacuate a coastal location by state and local officials, please do so.
2. If you are reluctant to evacuate, and you know someone who rode out the ’62 storm on the barrier islands, ask them if they could do it again.
3. If you are reluctant, think about your loved ones, think about the emergency responders who will be unable to reach you when you make the panicked phone call to be rescued, think about the Rescue/recovery teams who will Rescue you if you are injured or recover your remains if you do not survive.
4. Sandy is an extremely dangerous storm. There will be major property damage, injuries are probably unavoidable, but the goal is
5. If you think the storm is over-hyped and exaggerated, please err on the side of caution.
We wish everyone in harms way all the best. Stay safe!
And if you’re dumb enough to stay, please write your name and Social Security number in permanent market on your arm, so they can identify your body.
I don’t know what it is about impending natural disaster that makes me want to cook — because I really don’t like to. This morning, I made Crab Benedict for breakfast. For dinner tonight, spaghetti and meatballs. Maybe because they might be the only normal meals I have for a while…
Virtually Speaking Sundays – 6pm pacific – 9pm eastern – Listen live or later
Cliff Schecter & David Waldman talk politics.
Follow @CliffSchecter @KagroX
Also featuring Culture of Truth’s satire of the Most Ridiculous Thing That Happened This Sunday on the Sunday morning gasbag programs.
Trying to decide whether to duct-tape my windows. I know they don’t keep them from breaking, but it should keep the shards from blowing around.
Anyone with any experience with that sort of thing?
Today I’m doing laundry (because damn it, if I’m going to be without power for a week, at least I’ll have clean sheets!), and cooking what I can of what’s in my freezer. One friend told me to make sure to loosen the strings on my guitars, because the humidity may warp the necks. (Thanks, Steve!)
All these supplies… so much more canned food than I’m used to having in the house. And crunchy things, like taco chips. What is there about stress that makes us want to really chew something?
I really, really hate these LED lights; they hurt my eyes. I think if I have to read by these for an entire week, I’ll go mad.