6 Responses to A history of corporate whining

1. imhotep November 12, 2012 at 11:54 am #

William Jennings Bryan of the Democratic People’s Party ran against William McKinley in 1896 and lost by 600,000 votes. McKinley was hand picked by the oligarchy (Rockfeller, JP Morgan, ect.) to defeat Bryan. Bryan’s sin? He wanted to “Bust the Trusts.” If you don’t know the history of the Golden Age of Capitalism (1868-1908) do yourself a favor a learn about it.

2. russ November 12, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

Couple other things – Let’s not forget management’s objection to an 8-hour workday. Their argument was that if you cut a 10-12 hour workday to 8, all their profits would disappear because if they had a profit margin of 10% or so, all that profit came in the last hour of the day.

They made that argument with a straight face.

And regarding William Jennings Bryan, another great “fault” he had, at least as far as the real “powers that be” were concerned, was that he thought one Manifest Destiny was quite enough. Bryan did not want to start out down the road of imperialism abroad. With McKinley’s election, pretenses were soon found to go to war in Cuba and the Philippine Islands. We haven’t looked back ever since.

3. Ron November 12, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

Just another form of the ancient forces of greed and oppression that have plagued humanity since the beginning of civilization. Whether hereditary monarch or moneyed plutocrat, the goal is the same . . . slavery for us, power for them.

4. quixote November 13, 2012 at 10:37 am #

(Susie, I don’t know whether I have something set wrong on my browser, or it’s something at your end, but when I click on the cartoon for a larger image I just get a gray screen. Anybody else have that problem?)

A great cartoon.

5. susie November 13, 2012 at 11:41 am #

I don’t know. It works for mine.

6. quixote November 13, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

Must be my browser being stupid.