Sick bay

The doctor says my throat looks completely raw and my chest sounds like a three-pack-a-day smoker. She gave me a z-pack and some cough medicine with codeine. I told her I was hardly coughing; she said, “You’ll thank me later.”

So this is why I’m so short of breath.

This means that I have to postpone the double-antibiotic treatment for the h.pylori found by my GI doctor during my recent endoscope. Now I understand why old people get so cranky. God, I hate being sick and I hate taking antibiotics even more, but the GI doc says left untreated, it may cause gastric cancer.

And my family doc says the antibiotics they’re giving me for h.pylori may even cure my reflux. So I got that going for me!

7 Responses to Sick bay

1. Avedon November 20, 2012 at 11:56 am #

Oh, shit, I wish I’d noticed this. Yes, curing the h.pylori will get rid of the puking, and you will be really glad you did it, even though taking all those pills is a pain in the ass.

In the meantime, keep your meals small. This is a terrible thing to have to say right before the food season starts, but avoid getting full whatever you do, and get as much sleep as you can, until you can get rid of the h.pylori.

2. clueless lurker November 20, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

I’m a big fan of the saline solution netipot (or equivilant) along with salt water gargle.

3. Boohunney November 20, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

Chicken soup. Lord, Susie. I bet the aftermath of the storm had a lot to do with it. We deal with mold here all the time…. and, yes, saline is your friend…. hot tea, lemon and honey…. Get well…. 🙂

4. Ron November 20, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

Ahh, silver linings. Of course, there’s still those fucking black clouds. Get well soon.

5. zm November 20, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

Consider Manuka Honey (100% Raw Organic, New Zealand or CA, US. Purity @ MGO 400 or 16+). Natural antibiotic. Can add to tea w/lemon & ginger. Results in 36hrs or so. Had to drink more water to help flush lymph nodes, it’s that good. Rec’d, by bees. Get well soon 🙂

6. lless November 20, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

Take some time off from blogging. We all have you bookmarked. We will be there as soon as you’re better. Get well first.

7. G3 November 20, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

Research on probiotics for general gut health (which also improves overall health) and in particular to compensate for taking antibiotics. “The probiotics revolution” is a good one. Food source is better than tablets. Examples : Kimchi (available in co-ops, Korean stores), Sauerkraut, Miso besides Yogurt.
    When on road, I take tablets as preventive care.