‘You don’t really have a system of law’

Matt Taibbi:

‘Even people on Wall Street were blown away.’

“The decision to not prosecute in this instance belies everything that the government has ever done with regard to drug prosecutions everywhere. I mean, when you think about the way they behave toward ordinary people who get caught up in drug cases, where they seize all your property and they use absolutely the maximum sentences they can possibly avail themselves of, and in this case they catch a bank that launders billions of dollars for Colombian and Mexican drug cartels … for years on end, and they can’t find something to charge these people with?”

“If the law doesn’t apply equally to everybody, then you don’t really have a system of law. And so you have a built-in defense for everybody in every drug case forever. I mean, if you get caught with a stem of marijuana, how do you not stand up and say, ‘You’re going to send me to jail for this where a guy who laundered a billion dollars for a bunch of murderers gets nothing?’”

7 Responses to ‘You don’t really have a system of law’

1. tsisageya December 20, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

Matt Taibbi=bullshit=not good enough.

2. Izquierdo December 20, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

What are you trying to say, tsisageya?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

HSBC are not only big crooks, but they are also petty crooks. Last year, they claimed to have deposited a wire transfer for a few thousand $$ into the wrong account. This was partly my fault since I gave them an incorrect routing number with an extra digit (a typo).

Because of that extra digit, the money could not have been deposited into any account — the number didn’t fit the required format. They should have immediately notified the payer that the routing number was incorrect, and asked for the correct one. But they kept insisting it was in the other (nonexistent) account, and that they couldn’t do anything. They basically held on to the money for about half a year, screwing the payer, and also the payee (me.)

Too bad Dante didn’t know about banksters. Oh wait, he did. He called them usurers. JC also had some bad words for them.

3. tsisageya December 20, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

Umm, I think I even made an equation so that there would be no confusion. What is unclear?

4. tsisageya December 20, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

How about this, iz: Trust no one.

5. tsisageya December 20, 2012 at 6:01 pm #

Me? Don’t ask.

6. Allie December 21, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

I have good credit but Sears thinks I should pay 29% on a ccard? Usury, pure and simple – with the government’s blessing. Needless to say I closed that account and make a point to pay off my ccard balance each month. But you are right Iz – they will nickel and dime everybody they can because it adds up to big bucks for them.

7. lless December 21, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

They have manufactured trillions in interlocked paper debt obligations. A panic call is coming and the paper won’t reduce to cash. When the run starts and they turn to the central banks for a bail out, they will discover that they have burned political goodwill to the ground. TARP needed Congressional approval. Too filthy to help trumps too big to fail. The next tarp program will not get passed. My guess is that relying on the FDIC if your deposits are in one of the big boys when the SHTF, will be like having your retirement program in Enron. This is another reason to be with your credit union.