Post toasties

So the New York Post publishes these anonymous accusations that the NYC sanitation workers staged a work slowdown during the blizzard to protest the job cuts. Naturally, we have no way of verifying the story, since no names were included.

But let me point something out. If the union members did stage a slowdown, so fucking what? In the political arena today, exactly how many other tools do public sector workers have to protect their jobs in the budget-cutting frenzy?

Yes, I’ve read that there were people who died because the ambulances couldn’t get them to the hospital. That’s a real shame, and of course we don’t know whether they would have died anyway. But ask yourself this question: How many people are dying right now (or killing themselves) because they’re jobless, uninsured and at the end of their ropes?

Where’s the outrage about that?

I don’t know for certain if this happened, but I don’t care if it did. Remember, we live in a country where, not so very long ago, cops were called out to kill striking workers. If workers used whatever leverage they had to make their point, more power to them.

8 Responses to Post toasties

1. Kevin December 31, 2010 at 11:46 am #

Naturally, we have no way of verifying the story, since no names were included.

Of course they don’t want their names published. I wouldn’t want my house torched either. Or maybe an “unfortunate accident”….

This tactic is part of the Sanitation Union’s history. Here is the first line from a New York Times article by Allen Gold dated 6/21/1991:

“Sanitation Department employees, angry over layoff notices sent to nearly 450 of their colleagues, began a work slowdown yesterday, delaying garbage collection across the city.”

You can’t actually believe this makes sense. PLEASE tell me you don’t really mean it. I thought you were part of the “compassionate” party.

The President told us during the election this would be all cleaned up by now. You can throw around all the Republican bashing you want but the fact remains he said it. It has not even come close to happening.

Where’s the outrage about that?

I think you missed the answer about 2 months ago.

I was a member of the Teamsters for about 10 years. I know how all this works. Unfortunately it usually doesn’t, at least in the private sector. That job is gone because we could not compete with the more efficient cost consious shops that are not bound by union work rules. I’ve seen the bennys of union membership but the liabilities were far more damaging. The public sector is the largest unionized workforce block left & it will soon be coming to an end because those “at the end of their ropes” will do those sanitation jobs for a far lower cost to the public.

2. susie December 31, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

I always thought there were a lot more drawbacks to unions than benefits — but now? Why is it okay for the politicians to do horrible, amoral things to get their way — but not unions? I’d prefer that both sides dealt honorably, but what’s the likelihood of that happening?

3. Ten Bears December 31, 2010 at 1:52 pm #

Welcome to The Revolution. Should’a been done long ago.

Note to those who know who they are: your name is on a list.

You’re either with us, or against us. Whose side are you on?

4. Ron December 31, 2010 at 2:53 pm #

I’m with you Susie. The only method of counteracting the wealthy is aggressive action. Ted Rall’s correct. The only avenue open to 99% of Americans to influence their government is civil disobedience and confrontation. Violent rhetoric, threats of violence and violence itself are the only way to get your issue in the MSM? So be it.

5. Ron December 31, 2010 at 3:03 pm #

BTW, why is it that more ‘efficient cost consious (sic)’ actions need to be taken? So Paris Hilton and the Koch Bros can sock away another billion? The Hedge Fund managers and Banksters are the real Americans and the rest of us are their slave labor. Fuck that.

6. Kevin December 31, 2010 at 3:27 pm #

As my Grandma used to say “two wrongs don’t make a right”

In my view to allow the citizens that are paying your wage to die because you as Joe Union Member have been instructed by your union management to use these people as pawns in a job dispute is flat out poor judgement & shows the thug mentality of their leadership. Don’t fool yourself Susie, these union bosses make a good buck off the dues of their members & the rank & file see little for their money. AND when something like this goes down, they ultimately pay the price.

As an aside, my hometown lost 10 strikers during the Great Strike in July of 1877. Not once that I remember (I’m 50)did any union in the area hold a ceremony or try & explain the significance of the event.

Amazing.

7. Kevin December 31, 2010 at 3:53 pm #

Then you go after them, not hold your fellow citizens lives hostage to try & make some kinda point. In my opinion that is the definition of coward. In my hometown the strikers fought with the militia. They didn’t use others, they fought directly with the Company for their right to organize. As it should be.

8. susie December 31, 2010 at 4:42 pm #

Will I defend, on a case-by-case basis, the morality of allowing people to die? Of course not. But if the people who run this country get to turn a blind eye to the collateral damage inflicted by their policies, economic and otherwise (how many dead civilians in Iraq so far?), well, I guess we’ll get used to it, too.

We aren’t the ones who started this fight.