The Wire producer David Simon to Eric Holder: We’ll do another season of The Wire if you end the war on drugs.
No, really. Let’s face it, we’re not going to see this under a Republican administration since they don’t even pretend to care about being humane:
The Obama administration is set on Friday to issue policy guidance to states expanding their ability to offer same-sex couples the same protections afforded to straight couples when they receive long-term care under Medicaid, the Washington Blade has learned exclusively.
Under the new guidance, dated June 10, states have the option to allow healthy partners in a same-sex relationship to keep their homes while their partners are receiving support for long-term care under Medicaid, such as care in a nursing home.
Medicaid kicks in for a beneficiary to receive care after an individual depletes virtually all of their money. To pay for the beneficiary’s expenses under Medicaid, a state could impose a lein, or take possession, of a beneficiary’s home to pay for Medicaid expenses.
Where will bankers go when they’ve sucked everything out of the entire world?
Just another backdoor attempt by the greatest president evah to undermine Social Security!
The National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare has written to Vice President Joe Biden, who’s now leading
Congressional/White House debt talks, urging him to reject proposals
which would extend or expand the diversion of billions of dollars in Social Security payroll taxes.
“Just six months ago, Washington promised the $112 billion dollar
diversion of payroll taxes from Social Security would be a ‘temporary’
stimulus. Now, it appears some leaders who are negotiating a debt
ceiling deal are proposing not only to extend this stimulus measure but
actually expand it…diverting even more money away from Social
Security. Diverting revenue from Social Security is not fiscal
responsibility. There are other ways to provide effective stimulus that
don’t endanger Social Security’s funding, including the successful ‘Make
Work Pay Tax Credit’. Poll after poll has shown, Americans do not
support using Social Security as a bargaining chip in yet another ‘Let’s
Make a Deal’ style negotiation in Washington.” Max Richtman, NCPSSM
Executive Vice President/Acting CEO
NCPSSM’s letter to Vice President Biden reminds negotiators that
American workers have successfully funded the Social Security program
for 75 years and that critical linkage between contributions and
benefits is what keeps Social Security a self-funded program. Proposals to divert workers’ payroll taxes way from Social Security threaten the program’s independence, forcing it to compete for already limited federal dollars.
They didn’t really do a legitimate test the first time, so I don’t see what difference this makes:
WASHINGTON/CHARLOTTE, N.C., June 10 (Reuters) – The Federal Reserve will subject more banks to annual stress tests to determine whether they have enough capital and can raise their dividends.
On Friday, the Fed said it is proposing that banks with $50 billion or more in assets be subjected to the capital testing regime, bringing the number of banks that would face annual tests, if they were conducted today, to 35 from a prior level of 19.
Among the banks that would now fall under the testing regime, based of Fed data through March 31, are Northern Trust Corp (NTRS.O), M&T Bank Corp (MTB.N), Discover Financial Services (DFS.N) and Comerica Inc (CMA.N).
The tests seek to determine how a large bank whose failure could hurt the economy and markets would weather a financial shock or an economic downturn.
And will go after Obama from the left. I wonder why Mr. Eleven Dimensional Chess can’t see this?
That are worse than sexting. Yes, Democrats adhere to irrational orthodoxy that is just as fact-free as the Republicans talking about global warming — mostly on the issue of Israel. Via Juan Cole:
1. Called for Columbia University professor Joseph Massad to be fired for being critical of Israel; Weiner thus spearheaded a new McCarthyism.
2. On the Israeli attack, in international waters, on the Mavi Marmara relief ship, Weiner sputtered: “”If you want to instigate a conflict with the Israeli navy it isn’t hard to do. They were offered alternatives. Instead they chose to sail into the teeth of an internationally recognized blockade.” The blockade of Gaza civilians is a breach of international law; it is not internationally recognized and has on the contrary been condemned by almost every nation and human rights organization.
3. Alleged that the New York Times is anti-Israel: “Amnesty International in particular, has always had bias against Israel, and frankly I would argue that in many cases, the New York Times has, as well.”
4. Alleged that the Palestine Liberation Organization is still listed by the US as a terrorist organization. It was dropped from the list over 2 decades ago.
5. Tried to bar the Palestinian delegation to the United Nations from New York.
6. Alleged that Mahmoud Abbas, President of the Palestine Authority, is not the head of the PLO. He is.
7. Refused to condemn the use by Israel of cluster bombs on the civilian farms of south Lebanon in 2006.
8. Alleged that the Israeli army does not occupy the West Bank and that there is no Israeli Army presence in the West Bank.
9. Called Israel’s war on Gaza a “humane” war. 400 children were killed.
10. Voted for Iraq War authorization in 2002, before later turning against the war.